To celebrate the first birthday of Fortnite, developer Epic Games has introduced a special set of celebratory challenges to the game as part of the 5.10 update. There are a total of three new challenges, and if you’re able to complete all of them you’ll get a special reward item. Thankfully, each of the challenges are fairly easy, though one of them will require you to spend a little bit of time running around the map and getting your dance on.
The first of the challenges involves playing 14 matches in the Battle Royale mode, which you can probably manage with ease. The second involves being a little aggressive in-game and dealing damage to opponents. You’ll have to dish out a total of 1000 points of hurt before you’re rewarded with the birthday emote.
The third of the challenges requires you to dance in front of 10 different birthday cakes, and once you’ve done that you’ll get a spray. We’ve done the legwork and put the locations of each of the birthday cakes on the map, which you can find below. There’s also a list of the locations, along with a short description on where to find the cakes. Alternatively, you can watch the video above to see us find each of the cakes and do a little jig.
With all three challenges complete, you’ll unlock a special back bling for your character. You can see an image of that particular cosmetic below too, along with the details for the three challenges.
Fortnite 1st Birthday Challenges
- Play matches (14) — 5,000 XP
- Deal damage to opponents (1000) — Emote
- Dance in front of different Birthday Cakes (10) — Spray
Birthday Cake Locations
- Lazy Links: Near the road next to the southern sand traps
- Wailing Woods/Risky Reels: On the hill between Wailing Woods and Risky Reels
- Retail: In the middle of the market near the basketball court
- Tilted Towers/Loot Lake: Above the waterfall between Tilted Towers and Loot Late
- Pleasant Park: East of the park, behind the gas station
- Greasy Grove: Centre of Greasy Grove, between the Durr Burger and the basketball court
- Paradise Palms: North of Paradise Palms, across the street from the welcome sign
- Fatal Fields: In the middle of Fatal Fields
- Flush Factory: Under the giant toilet sign
- Lonely Lodge: West Lonely Lodge, near the parked Caravans.
Alongside the new challenges, Epic Games has detailed the contents of the 5.10 update. The patch brings back the Playground LTM, which has had a few tweaks for its second appearance. There’s also the introduction of the Compact SMG, which is deadly when you get in close. A number of tweaks have also been made to the gameplay, performance, and user-interface, so check out our story on the full patch notes to see that all. You’ll also find some details on what’s new with Save the World mode.
In related news, Fortnite Halloween costumes are going to be released as part of a partnership with retailers Spirit Halloween and Spencer. The two completed a deal with Epic Games for “a range of officially licensed” Fortnite costumes, as well as accessories and gear based on the brand. There are outfits based on the Black Knight, Crackshot, Dark Voyager, Skull Trooper, and Cuddle Team Leader skins. You can also purchase the basic, rainbow smash, and party animal pickaxes, or a light-up boogie bomb that actually plays sound.