If you’re here, you’ve probably just picked up Aztech Forgotten Gods on Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One — welcome to the party! If not… Well, you are just in time to get it fresh off the oven, seeing as it launched today!
Whichever the case, you may have noticed that Aztech is a game that fully embraces its unconventional movement mechanics to create a unique and adrenaline-filled experience that you will surely love but will take some time to get used to. I’m here to help speed up the learning process and have you flying around the city of Tenochtitlan, drawing everyone’s gaze and terrifying birds in no time!
Below, you’ll find 10 tips to help you get the most out of every Aztech Forgotten Gods play session.
- 1 – Flying around like your favorite tin-armored-superhero or spikey-haired anime fighter is the very essence of Aztech’s movement mechanics. It might take some time to get used to them, but a good way to wrap your head around the game’s movement — particularly earlier in the game — is to remember that while holding LB, your left stick basically controls the horizontal axis of movement. If you want to go forward, press the stick forwards. If you want to go left or right, just press the stick left or right… How do you go upwards, you ask? Simply let go of the stick! Pressing LB with no directional input will give you altitude.
- 2 – Something that can really help with air maneuvers is Achtli’s mid-air jump. If you’re traveling at high speeds and need to make a sharp turn or change directions abruptly, press the jump button (A). Doing so will immediately kill your momentum and give you a little bit of time to think on your next move. The mid-air jump can be reset in a number of ways, like wall-jumping, using boost rings, grinding, or by simply coming back to the ground.
- 3 – The Central Workshop is the best shop in town., Think of it like Achtli’s personal upgrade emporium. You can trade upgrade coins to unlock various enhancements for your abilities. Given that every main mechanic uses energy from Lightkeeper’s reserves, you can’t go wrong by upgrading the amount of energy available first.
- 4 – Aside from defeating bosses, there are a few ways to get your hands on Upgrade Coins if you are up for a grind. Hovering around the city, you’ll likely spot gangs of minions that drop a few coins when defeated. Whenever you see these groups, you might want to take some time to show them what’s up. Additionally, if you upgrade the Jetpack Speed ability, race side quests will become much easier. Those are great for earning coins.
- 5 – Always keep an eye on your health bar! You don’t want to go into a boss fight without a full bar. You can replenish some of your health by pressing -Up- on the D-Pad. And if you need to quickly replenish the healing ability, simply defeat minions, this will reduce the cooldown time!
- 6 – When fighting a boss, try and use high vantage points and remain airborne as much as possible. Doing so is the easiest way to dodge attacks and evade enemies. Remember, Achtli is at her most vulnerable when standing idly at ground level.
- 7 – Every now and then, bosses will use something we like to call —Supernova Attack—, a giant expanding energy field with holes in it. If you can’t make it in time to one of the holes, you can use the shield ability to block the incoming attack and escape unscathed.
- 8 – Now, this is a big one. The Charged Punch is extremely effective against bosses. Once unlocked, you should really try to attack bosses exclusively with Charged Punches by holding RT.
- 9 – Feeling lost? Not to worry! Your objective will always appear as a red marker on the mini map. Still not sure where that marker is taking you? Well, you can always climb a nearby building and look for a bright red beam of light in the sky that will lead you to your destination.
- 10 – Is the game proving to be a little too challenging for what you were expecting? That is totally fine, no judgments here. You can change the game’s difficulty and language settings at any time, even during gameplay. There is absolutely no penalty for doing this. It’s worth pointing out that there are no Achievements linked to specific difficulty settings.
We hope these tips are helpful to get you started with Aztech! After four years of development and many adventures to make it a reality, we are very excited to finally share the game with all of you. Aztech Forgotten Gods is available now for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One!
Aztech Forgotten Gods
Catch the ID@Xbox Spring Showcase with /twitchgaming on March 16
Hundred Bullets, Re-inventing Shmups
Dark Comedic Adventure, What Lies in the Multiverse, Available Now