Earlier this month, young Han Solo actor Alden Ehrenreich let slip that his deal with Disney covers three movies, leading to speculation that two more films may be coming. They might be, but no plans are in place yet, according to director Ron Howard. Speaking to Fandango, Howard suggested that Ehrenreich signing a three-movie contract doesn’t necessarily mean more movies are coming.
“I think the fans are going to define all of that,” he said. “I mean I think that Lucasfilm and Disney in casting actors, and particularly younger actors, want to see what happens and build upon that. Certainly, they want the commitment from the young actors, but there are no concrete plans. I think there’s been a lot of creative energy and now marketing energy going behind this movie.”
Like 2016’s Rogue One, the first of the new Star Wars standalone spinoffs, it sounds like Solo is expected to tell a self-contained story that doesn’t necessarily need one or multiple sequels. That being said, if the movie is successful enough and if writers can find stories worth telling, you never know what could happen in the future.
“I think these are exactly what they’re meant to be, or what they’re designed to be,” Howard said. “They’re single movies exploring the galaxy; but of course, as a company, I think they’re going to be very interested to see how people respond to it and take it from there. This whole thing is kind of a cool, ambitious exploration of what the galaxy and the Star Wars sensibility can continue to mean to fans.”
Solo opens on May 25, and also stars Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian. It’s expected to have a record-breaking opening weekend. Advance tickets are on sale now, and early signs show they are pacing ahead of Black Panther‘s.