Aviators can easily test their skills in one of the aviation world’s most versatile and resilient aircraft.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is thrilled to introduce a versatile, rugged aviation legend into the in-sim marketplace today. The An-2 is a single-engine, short take-off and landing (STOL) utility biplane produced by Ukrainian aviation manufacturer Antonov. The An-2 is crewed by two and can carry up to twelve passengers.
Over 18,000 An-2s were manufactured from 1947 to 2001 in Ukraine and Poland and many remain in service, with a number of licensed variants still being built in China. The aircraft has been utilized in at least 40 known applications, including crop dusting, medical transport, passenger travel, cargo, scientific, surveying, skydiving, fire suppression and military exercises. With its exceptionally forgiving nature (an unforced roll in this plane is practically impossible) and ease of modification, the An-2 has also been converted into an unmanned aerial vehicle many times for military applications.
The An-2 traces its roots to the 1930s, when Soviet aerospace engineer Oleg Antonov envisioned a tough, single-engine utility biplane that could serve many civil needs. Years later, in 1946, the Soviet government gave Antonov his opportunity. The top-secret Soviet Research and Design Bureau Number 153 (OKB-153), which would later become Antonov Company, was established on May 31, 1946. Its first project was the biplane that Antonov conceptualized years earlier. After months of feverish work (even after hours during the war), the aircraft took its maiden flight on August 31, 1947.
The hallmark of the An-2 is its ability to fly slowly; it doesn’t have a published stall speed. Due to its large wings and its leading-edge slats that automatically deploy once the airspeed drops below 40 miles per hour (mph), pilots report being able to maintain controlled flight as slow as 32 mph and even lower in certain conditions.
The An-2 measures 40 feet, 8 inches in length, has a standard empennage, and features a traditional fixed undercarriage that can accommodate skis or floats in addition to terrestrial wheel landing gear. Its upper wing spans 59 feet, 9 inches, and its lower wing measures 46 feet, 7 inches. It is powered by a 9-cylinder, 1,000-horsepower Shvetsov ASz-62IR supercharged radial engine that turns a 4-blade variable pitch. It can take-off with as little as 65 feet of airfield and land with just 50 feet of ground roll. It has a minimum range of 525 miles, a service ceiling of 14,800 feet above sea level, and climbs at 880 feet per minute without a payload or 500 feet per minute with a payload. The An-2 cruises at 130 mph and has a top speed of 160 mph during descent.
There are four variants included, all with 4K liveries:
- A terrestrial, wheel landing gear version with a standard cockpit featuring steam gauges and ten liveries:
- Antonov Airlines, Xbox Aviators Club, Aviators Club, Red, Bare White, Blue, Dark, Green, Metal, and Orange
- A terrestrial, wheel landing gear version with a modern GPS cockpit and two liveries:
- White and red
- A floating version for water operations and a standard cockpit with steam gauges and two liveries:
- White and blue
- One fitted with skis and a standard cockpit with steam gauges and one livery:
Fly in the An-2 today, available in the Microsoft Flight Simulator in-game marketplace for $14.99. The sky is calling!
Microsoft Flight Simulator is available for Xbox Series X|S and PC with Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Windows, and Steam, and on Xbox One and supported mobile phones, tablets, and lower-spec PCs via Xbox Cloud Gaming.
Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard 40th Anniversary Edition
Xbox Game Studios
• Vivid and Detailed Landscapes – Immerse yourself in the vast and beautiful world that is our planet with over 1.5 billion buildings, 2 trillion trees, mountains, roads, rivers and more.
• Living World – The Earth is vibrant and ever-changing and so is the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator, which includes live traffic, real-time weather, and animals. Earn Your Wings
• Aircraft – Hone your pilot skills in a variety of aircraft from light planes to commercial jets with comprehensive flight models. Every aircraft includes highly detailed and accurate cockpits with realistic instrumentation.
• Checklist System – From pro to beginner, scale your level from full manual to full assist with interactive and highlighted instrument guidance and checklist. Test Your Skill
• Live Weather -The weather engine enables users to switch on the live weather mode to experience real-time weather including accurate wind speed and direction, temperature, humidity, rain and more.
• Day and Night Engine – Experience flight at any time of day or year allowing for night VFR, visual flight rules, navigation.
• Aerodynamic Modeling – A state-of-the-art physics engine with over 1000 control surfaces per plane allows for a truly realistic experience. Microsoft Flight Simulator has fulfilled the aspirations of aviators worldwide for 40 years. Celebrate the award-winning franchise with the 40th Anniversary Edition, loaded with all-new features, aircraft and content that span the history of aviation. The 40th Anniversary Edition update introduces:
• 1 true-to-life Airbus A310 Airliner
• 2 helicopters and 14 heliports
• 2 gliders and 15 glider airports
• 7 famous historical aircraft including the Hughes H-4 Hercules (aka the Spruce Goose)
• 4 classic commercial airports
• 24 classic missions from the franchise’s past