Do you want to help build the future of live entertainment, but don’t know where to start? Or have you been wanting to build a Twitch Extension, but just need an extra push? Today, we’re announcing a challenge that might be just the motivation you need.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Twitch are working together to launch the Twitch Extension Challenge powered by AWS. To enter, all you have to do is build a Twitch Extension and integrate with any AWS service!
An Extension is an interactive experience that works as a stream overlay or as a panel on a channel. Streamers activate Extensions to further connect with their viewers and provide new ways to engage, such as leaderboards, mini-games, polls, and much more.
We will be selecting eight winning Extensions based on the criteria outlined below. The grand prize includes cash awards up to $15,000, tickets to TwitchCon 2019, and even meetings with Twitch leadership to talk through your ideas.
The challenge is three months, running until February 26, 2019. While that may seem like plenty of time to submit your Extension, you can get started now! If you’re not already a Twitch developer, check out these five reasons why you should become one today:
- Twitch has a large, highly engaged viewership with 15 million daily active users and 355 billion minutes watched in 2017. This means there is a high potential to get a lot of visibility building on Twitch.
- With millions of people gathering on Twitch every day, developers have the opportunity to create new ways to consume and contribute to live programming with Twitch Extensions.
- We’re seeing lots of enthusiasm for Extensions from our community of viewers and chatters. Since launch, just over a year ago, people have interacted with Extensions over 4.9 BILLION times.
- There’s a full set of developer tools for Extensions, enabling developers to build these immersive experiences easily and quickly.
- Developers can monetize on Twitch. Bits-in-Extensions enables viewers to show support to the streamer, enhance gameplay, or express themselves. Streamers and developers share the revenue generated from these Bits.
November 27, 2018 — February 26, 2019
Build a Twitch Extension for viewers, broadcasters, or both that integrates or is built with at least one AWS service.
- $15,000 USD
- Tickets to TwitchCon 2019
- One-hour meeting with Twitch leadership
We are also awarding cash prizes to second place, third place, four honorable mentions, and an additional “Crowd Favorite” category.
- Novelty, Creativity, and Innovation: includes the ability to amaze and delight viewers when engaging with a stream.
- Implementation of the Idea: includes how well the idea was executed and how well the Extension makes use of AWS services.
- Potential Value to Twitch Community: includes the extent to which the solution can help Twitch content creators.
- Business Potential: includes the prospects of building a viable business via the Extension over time.
Sign up to learn more about the challenge and start developing now!